Thursday, April 9, 2009

CFer Question

Problems with Dairy? Mackenzie has major problems when she drinks milk (or even Lactaid) where it makes her cough like crazy. Do any of you with CF or CF caregivers have a problem with this? Or maybe she just has an allergy? Hmmm...

Since I use the other blog kind of as a family scrapbook (even though I post CF related things there too), I think I'm going to start posting some CF items here too. I go back and forth between thinking I should just put everything on one or keep all three. CF friends, I'd appreciate if you'd keep an eye on this one too when I have the occasional CF question or update. Other friends, you have no choice - you have to read all three! :)

5 comments:

Katey said...

It's possible it could be an allergy. So many kids have issues with diary products now days.

HOWEVER....for me (pre-transplant), if I was sick and coughing a lot of junk up, or having trouble breathing, milk wasn't the best thing for me to drink, because it's ticker than most liquids, and it increased my cough, or made it harder for me to breath, etc.

After my transplant, I had major issues with dairy..but digestive issues and not lung issues.

I hope it gets better or you figure out what's wrong!!

Somer Love said...

I think milk does this for lots of people. I have friends who are "normal" that cough a ton after shakes.

they make me a lil more mucasy too.... Is mucasy a word? I am going to say yes if not it should be :)

Lindsay said...

I agree with the person who commented above~I always cough when I have ice cream & have more drainage. So I bet someone w/ CF would have those results plus some...???

nat said...

Christy,
I have always heard that milk is a mucus maker. Generally that comes when I am "mucusy" already to not make it worse. I get nose drainage when I eat cereal in the morning and Nathan gets a frog in his throat. I guess with something like CF it is just that much more aggrivating to the system.

Natalie

The Traxsons said...

Sam's dr told me not to give him dairy when he has a cold/congestion because it will just increase the mucus and make him even more uncomfortable. I'm like that too-if i've been sick it takes a long time before I'm able to eat ice cream or shakes without coughing like crazy.